This just in, the Philadelphia Flyers have signed restricted free agent Travis Konecny to a six year contract worth $33 million. The new deal comes with a cap hit of $5.5 million per season.
Check it out:
The deal comes just a day after Konecny’s new head coach, Alain Vigneault, was critical of the player’s decision to miss the beginning of training camp.
“I’m very disappointed that T.K. is not here,” Alain Vigneault said after his first practice leading the Flyers. “It’s the start of a new era, a new group, I felt that it was very important for everybody to be here.
“With my time in the NHL, my experience, anybody that falls behind — whether it’s injury or in T.K.’s situation not coming to camp — usually it takes them a little bit of time to get back at it, especially at this time with a new coaching staff and new way of doing things.”
Well… T.K. is back and ready to make it up to his new head coach.
Read below for the full press release announcement of today’s signing, courtesy of the Flyers’ official website:
The Philadelphia Flyers announced they have agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Travis Konecny on a six-year contract worth an average annual value (AAV) of $5.5 million, according to President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Chuck Fletcher.
"We are happy to have Travis under contract for the next six seasons," said Fletcher. "Travis has shown progression in each of his three seasons and is an integral part of our group of young forwards. His speed, skill and tenacity sets him apart in today's NHL."
"I'm really excited about signing with the Flyers and being able to call Philadelphia home for the next six years," Konecny said. "I can't wait to get back with my teammates and to start a new relationship with the coaching staff. It's on me now to work hard and make up for the couple days I wasn't able to be here."
Below are notes on Konecny & his career with the Flyers:
TRAVIS KONECNY (koh-NEHK-nee)POSITION: Center
DRAFTED: 2015 - 1st Round (24th overall) by FlyersAGE: 22 (3-11-1997)
BORN: London, OntarioVITALS: 5'10", 175 pounds
* The contract will run through the 2024-25 season.
* In three seasons in the NHL, all with the Flyers, Konecny has 124 points (59g-65a) in 233 games, while also increasing his overall point total for three straight seasons.
* This past season, he posted a new career high in assists (25) and points (49), while also tying his career-best in goals (24).
* He finished third on the team in goals (24), while his 49 points ranked fourth on the Flyers.
* Over the last two seasons, Konecny has appeared in 163 of 164 possible games, while he has only missed 13 total games since making his NHL debut in 2016-17.
* Konecny ranks seventh among all players in the 2015 NHL Draft Class in goals (59) and ninth in overall points (124).