The Washington Capitals want to prove to the Tampa Bay Lightning that they don’t care if they just won the President’s Trophy; the defending Stanley Cup champions will put up a fight for a repeat this spring and we might have seen a great preview of the upcoming Eastern Conference final.
Om Wednesday night, the Caps and Bolts faced off but things got out of hand in the second period when Cedric Paquette ran Michal Kempny hard from behind into the boards and the Capitals defenseman did not appreciate it.
Kempny retaliated with a punch to the face which made this fight escalate to a full blown line brawl.
Unfortunately for the Capitals, Jakub Vrana got involved and squared off with Yanni Gourde… it ended with a bloody Vrana and an injured Kempny, who struggled to get off the ice. T.J. Oshie also engaged with Mikhail Sergachev during the scrum.
Check it out:
Kempny did not return to the game. See the breakdown of all the penalties handed out by the officials in this one brawl:
* T.J. Oshie: 2 minutes for Roughing
* Mikhail Sergachev: 2 minutes for Roughing
* Yanni Gourde: 5 minutes for Fighting (Major) Jakub Vrana
* Jakub Vrana: 5 minutes for Fighting (Major) Yanni Gourde
* Cedric Paquette: 2 minutes for Roughing Michal Kempny
* Cedric Paquette: 2 minutes for Cross checking Michal Kempny (served by Adam Erne)
* Michal Kempny: 2 minutes for High-sticking Cedric Paquette