2003 WJC investigation sparks up following London police move in 2018 incident!
WJC archives  

2003 WJC investigation sparks up following London police move in 2018 incident!

Two players had been identified to the Halifax police in the 2003 alleged sexual assault and now we get an update:



It’s been a tough week for the hockey world with the announcement from London Police that five members of Hockey Canada’s 2018 World Juniors gold medal winning team have been ordered to surrender themselves within the next two weeks.

Subsequently Calgary Flames forward Dillon Dube, Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Carter Hart, New Jersey Devils defenseman Cal Foote and forward Michael McLeod, all members of that 2018 version of Team Canada, all took indefinite leave from their NHL teams. Additionally, former NHL forward Alex Formenton, who was playing pro hockey in Switzerland, took leave from his team and is reportedly flying back to Canada.

It was also confirmed that the London police will hold a press conference on February 5 about the ongoing investigation.
This major update in the 2018 incident prompted TSN’s Rick Westhead to investigate further more in the alleged sexual assault that took place in 2003 and reportedly involved players from the 2003 World Junior Team Canada.

When news of the 2018 sexual assault allegations in an incident that featured eight members of the country’s 2018 world junior team, following a gala in London, Ontario came out, a woman stepped forward to say that she was “gang raped” by members of the 2003 Canadian World Juniors team. Westhead reported that the allegations claimed that more than a half-dozen players on the 2003 World Junior team were recorded during the tournament having sex with a woman who was naked and non-responsive.

Then, Halifax police were said to have the names of at least two members of the 2003 World Junior hockey team who may have appeared in a video of the alleged group sexual assault. A person who was shown a video of the alleged incident after it occurred in 2003 reported the identities of two players he recognized in the video in an interview with police. The source informed he told Halifax police he recognized the 2003 World Junior player holding the camcorder at the beginning of the video because he held the camera up to his face.

“I recognized two of the players and both of them went on to have NHL careers.”

On Thursday, Westhead shared the following follow-up on that 2003 investigation:

“The Halifax Regional Police continue to investigate a historical sexual assault that is alleged to have occurred in the city during the 2002-03 World Juniors tournament and involved multiple members of Canada’s team, a police spokesman told TSN.

“As with any investigation, investigators are gathering evidence, following up on leads, speaking with people who may have information in relation to the investigation and exploring numerous avenues to advance the investigation,” Constable John MacLeod wrote to TSN in an email this morning.

“We thank everyone who has come forward to assist the investigation thus far and continue to encourage anyone with information to contact police.”

MacLeod wrote police “want victims to know that there is no statute of limitations and we take a victim centered approach to sexualized violence so that we can provide assistance to victims at whatever stage of healing they may be in.”

A person familiar with the matter previously told TSN that Halifax police have committed “significant” resources to the investigation and have continued trying to contact witnesses who may have information to share about the allegations.”

When the allegations were made public, several members of the 2003 roster have stepped forward to deny their involvement of the allegations. Most have said that they weren’t even aware of the allegations until they became public last month. Former NHLers PA Parenteau, Carlo Colaiacovo, Dan Paille and Jordin Tootoo have all cleared their names. Minnesota Wild netminder Marc Andre Fleury declined to comment on the allegations when confronted by Quebec’s La Presse newspaper at the time.

Recommended articles: