
NHL insider Elliotte Friedman with the latest scoop.
This just in, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has upheld sanctions against the Vegas Golden Knights following an appeal from the team.
The Golden Knights were stripped of their 2026 2nd round pick and head coach John Tortorella was fined $100,000 for "flagrant violations" of the league's media access policy.
From NHL insider Chris Johnston for The Athletic earlier today:
Golden Knights president George McPhee and general manager Kelly McCrimmon attended a hearing at the NHL’s head office in New York for the appeal. The penalties levied against the organization remained unchanged upon the conclusion of that meeting, leagues source told The Athletic. There remains a possibility that the situation could be reevaluated down the road if Vegas remains compliant with the rules.
The NHL handed down its punishment on Friday after Tortorella skipped his postgame news conference on Thursday night and the team failed to allow locker-room access to reporters following a Round 2-clinching victory in Anaheim. In announcing its decision, the NHL said: “The imposition of these penalties comes after previous warnings were issued to the club regarding their compliance with the media regulations and other associated policies.”
The NHL's media policy calls for head coaches to be made available to reporters following practices and games and that the team makes players available for a 30 minute access period in the locker room after practices and games.
Following Vegas' 5-1 victory last Thursday, the Golden Knights' PR staff, reportedly at the direction of Tortorella, told reporters that the team would not be opening up their dressing room and that they were hustling to catch a team bus directly after the game.
Incidentally, NHL insider Elliotte Friedman reports that the team's handling of former head coach Bruce Cassidy has nothing to do with sanctions against the team. Interestingly enough, Friedman also reports that nothing has changed with Cassidy's status and that the Golden Knights have still not granted permission to the Edmonton Oilers or the Los Angeles Kings to interview Cassidy. It remains unclear if the Toronto Maple Leafs have received permission, however.
From Friedman:
It's believed that Vegas is a bit gun-shy to let its rivals interview with Cassidy, since they got burned by former coach Pete DeBoer after allowing the Dallas Stars to hire him while he was still under contract.
Still... you don't let a capable coach like Cassidy twist in the wind like this. That sort of stuff has a way of coming back to you in a bad way. Do to honorable thing and part ways on good terms, that's the hockey way.
Get the latest news and updates directly in your inbox.
About the author
Writer
A lifelong hockey fan with a background in professional writing for major international brands, Trevor joined Attraction Media in 2017. Since then, he's been breaking news, analyzing moves and serving up hot takes from around the hockey world for Hockey Feed's 500,000+ followers.
Read more