Fans of Original 6 franchises like the Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings, and Boston Bruins have some of the biggest and most passionate fan bases in their respective sports, with not only a frenzied base in their home cities but nationwide in both the United States and Canada.
But as voted upon by the fans, the Leafs routinely come in at first overall in the category of "most annoying fan base" - and the other 31 fan bases probably aren't surprised by that. But Leafs fans happen to come in first overall in another interesting category.
According to a recent survey from Time2Play, Leafs fans drink the most during games - and naturally, they spend the most money on their boozey beverages in the process.
An excerpt from the original story:
"In April 2022 we surveyed 1,584 NHL fans over the age of 21 living in the US and Canada. Fans were asked how many alcoholic beverages they typically consume while watching a hockey game as well as how much they typically spend on alcoholic beverages while watching a hockey game. The average age of respondents was 34.9 years old."
Now, part of the total cost may be in large part thanks to the absolutely obscene prices that fans are charged for just about everything at a Maple Leafs home game, which are some of the most expense-laden charges that any hockey fan has to shell out.
- Tyler Bertuzzi announces why he spurned Bruins
- Max Domi reveals why he chose Maple Leafs
- Ryan Reaves sends an ominous warning to Radko Gudas.
- Elliotte Friedman sheds light on the Mike Babcock incident.
- Babcock labeled a “predator” by one of his former players.
- McDavid blown out by beer leaguers in championship game!
- Evander Kane plays under provocative fake name in beer league!
- Brady Tkachuk parties with Brooks Koepka, drinks beers from Wanamaker Trophy
- Oilers fan tries to dump beer on Reilly Smith, fails miserably
- Beer leaguer throws a temper tantrum, chucks pucks on the ice in protest